Thursday, February 25, 2010

2:16

I love Craigslist. I love finding good deals. I love getting a little pocket money while simultaneously finding a good home for something we don't need anymore. I love what it does for community. I love how I've stayed in touch with some people who I met by buying or selling on Craigslist. (like Laura) I love how easy it makes being green in the sense of reusing.

But, alas - relationships do not consist of love alone - they have their faults. There are the scammers - the ship it to me and I'll pay ya later, the pyramid schemes, the send me a money order and I'll ship it to you... etc. Most of these are pretty see-through, but they're still disappointing and irritating.

From Feb2010


But this week, my Craigslist misfire was laughable... I've been looking for a bookshelf for the boys' room. Nothing fancy, just an actual wooden shelf to hold books and some toys. They currently have a plastic shelving thing, so it's not a necessity, but I'd like something a little cuter and more functional - but also pretty cheap.

So I saw a posting this week, vague and no picture, but interesting to me:
Book cases (west side madison)

1) 3 shelf book case older heavy wooden Very sturdy. 10.00

2) Light wood aprox 6ft tall 5 shelves Sauder mabe 4 foot wide takes up little space and holds a lot of books or knic knacks . 20.00


So I emailed:
Hi -

I was wondering if you could give me dimensions for the smaller bookcase, and possibly a picture, or at least a bit more description?

Thanks!
Meghan


And she (the email came from a "Linda") writes back:
it is a standard bookcase

That is the whole message! I nearly fell out of my chair. Libby happen to be online so I forwarded the email and immediately called her and we laughed and speculated... I mean really, if someone told you they had a "standard bookcase" would that call to mind a specific size, shape and color? Her original post said wooden, but we all know some people don't distinguish between 'wood' and pressboard with veneer. And even if her 'wood' meant regular 'cut from tree' wood - there are TONS of different types and stain variations... Grrr.

So I mulled it over a day or so and I decided to write back. Giving the benefit of the doubt - maybe she only had a minute to write, and didn't think through her response, or something?! So over g-chat, Libby helped me with the draft - I didn't want to come off frustrated or mean, just curious and genuine. So I sent back:
Hi Again -

I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean by "standard"? If you were able to measure it, I'd really appreciate it - I'd like to make sure it will work for the space I have. Height, width and depth would really help me out.

Is it painted or stained?

Thanks.
Meghan


From Feb2010


And about a day later I get this message back:
3ft tall 3ft wide 1ft deep painted

No "hi", no "sorry", definitely still no picture... Sheesh! I don't get it! I mean I give her credit for giving the measurements, though I'm skeptical about those being accurate - in all my images of 'standard' I had imagined something a little taller than it was wide. But to say "painted"?!?! Again, I would have assumed 'standard' meant wood or wood-like - but painted isn't out of the question - but there a million colors in the rainbow!

I've dealt with strange/crabby/crazy/shady types from time to time on Craigslist. I just cannot understand why someone who you are offering to give money to, and probably drive to his/her house to do so, would treat people this way. When I sell stuff, I really try to make it a good experience. If someone asks me a question, I always give the answer and then some. I always have a picture. And most of the time my efforts are appreciated. And also most of the time, people I buy from are as helpful. But these crazy few - oh it just puts a damper on the whole thing.

From Feb2010


I guess it just comes back to work ethic and customer service. This is a constant conversation topic between Libby and me. We have worked in offices, retail stores and restaurants. We've been responsible for helping in person, over the phone and by email. And we really and truly always tried our best to help. You know? I think this really could be a post in itself, so I'll digress.

From Feb2010


So for now, I'm just gonna keep my eye out some more for that perfect deal on a good bookcase. I'm sure there is someone out there selling one who had a Mom to teach them to always do their best.

1 comment:

  1. I only search Craigslist for posts with pictures. I feel like if you want someone to buy your stuff then you need to show them what it is! And "painted"--this person couldn't even be bothered to type what color!?

    I wish you luck on your bookcase quest. I hope you find something perfect!

    ReplyDelete